The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of sites, buildings, structures, districts, and objects important in U.S. history. Each state has a preservation office which administers the National Register in their State; the Indiana Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology (DHPA) serves all residents of the State of Indiana.
Not every old building is eligible for listing in the National Register. To qualify, a resource should be at least 50 years old and have local, state, or national significance meeting the certain criteria. NPA has been instrumental in seeing several Noblesville sites listed on the National Register.
There are many misconceptions about National Register listing. Listing in the National Register does not:
- Prevent private owners from altering their property
- Restrict the use or sale of the property
- Establish certain times that the property must be open to the public,
but it does:
- Give a property prestige and publicity
- Provide protection for the property from federally funded projects
- Permit the use of investment tax credit for certified rehabilitations
- Allow owners to apply for federal grants-in-aid
If you're interested in inquiring about a site or structure or need general assistance, please contact the NPA.
Catherine Street Historic District, also known as the North 9th St. Historic District, is a National Historic District. It encompasses 50 contributing buildings and 1 contributing site in a predominantly residential section of Noblesville. It developed between about 1870 and 1937, and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Italianate, and Bungalow / American Craftsman style architecture. Located in the district is the separately listed Dr. Samuel Harrell House. The District was listed on the N ...
1012 Monument Street
The Cole-Evans House, located at 1012 Monument Street was built in 1837. The house was originally built in the Federal style with Italianate style features added later The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000.
1095 East Conner Street
The Daniel Craycraft House is an historic home located in Downtown Noblesville. It was built in 1892, and is a large 2 1/2-story, Queen Anne style frame dwelling. It features a three-story, square corner tower; cross-gables; steep gable-on-hip roof; porches and balconies; and contrasting textures and materials. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. It is located in the Conner Street Historic District.
399 North 10th Street
Dr. Samuel Harrell House, also known as the Harrell House, was built in 1898, and is a large 2 1/2-story, Queen Anne style frame dwelling. It features irregular massing; a three-story, polygonal corner tower; multi gable-on-hip roof; and wraparound porch. Also on the property is a contributing two-story, frame carriage house. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. It is located in the Catherine Street Historic District. The Dr. Samuel Harrell House is one of Nob ...
The Hamilton County Courthouse and the Sheriff's Residence and Jail is located at the center of the Noblesville Commercial Historic District. The Hamilton County Courthouse was built between 1877 and 1879, and is a three-story, Second Empire style, rectangular brick building. It has a clock tower atop the mansard roof and limestone Corinthian order pilasters. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. The Sheriff's Residence and jail was built in 1875-1876, and is ...
Riverwood Ave. and 211th Street. across White River
The Holliday Hydroelectric Powerhouse and Dam, also known as Holliday Station, is a historic powerhouse and dam located on the White River near Noblesville in Noblesville Township. It was built in 1922, and includes a one-story Châteauesque style powerhouse building and a concrete dam measuring 10 feet high and 345 feet long. The powerhouse measures 26 feet wide and 40 feet long and is constructed of stone with a slate roof. The Station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1 ...
107 South 8th Street
The Dr. Samuel Harrell House is an historic home located in Downtown Noblesville. The home was built in 1849, and is a two-story, five bay, "L"-shaped, Greek Revival style brick dwelling. It is thought to be the oldest building in Noblesville.
The Noblesville Commercial Historic District is a National Historic District. It encompasses 54 contributing buildings in the central business district of Noblesville. The District was developed between about 1875 and 1931, and includes notable examples of Gothic Revival, Italianate, and Renaissance Revival style architecture. Located in the district is the separately listed Hamilton County Courthouse Square, which includes the courthouse (1877-1879) and Sheriff's Residence and Jail (1875). Othe ...
South 8th Street
Noblesville Milling Company Mill, also known as the Model Mill, is an historic grinding mill. The original section was built about 1872, and subsequently expanded to cover 1/2 a city block. It is a large brick structure, with the largest section being four stories tall. It includes a water tower built about 1903. It was originally built as a planing mill, but later converted to a grinding mill to produce flour. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
1938 Allisonville Road
Potter's Bridge Park features the only remaining covered bridge in Hamilton County, and is surrounded by a 66-acre park. Constructed between 1870-1871 by Josiah Durfee, and restored in 1999, the bridge serves as the centerpiece of Potter's Bridge Park. Potter's Bridge was listed in the Indiana Historic Sites and Structures inventory in 1978. Potter's Bridge was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
South 9th Street Historic District is a national historic district that encompasses 39 contributing buildings and 1 contributing site in a predominantly residential section of Noblesville. It developed between about 1860 and 1940, and includes notable examples of Queen Anne, Italianate, and Bungalow / American Craftsman style architecture. Notable buildings include the Masonic Temple (c. 1914) and Adler Building (formerly First Christian Church, 1897). It is roughly bounded by Maple, Division, 1 ...
1250 East Conner Street
The William Houston Craig House at 1250 Conner Street is, in many ways, a typical Queen Anne home. The corner tower, wrap-around porch, irregular floorplan and a variety of textures on the exterior are all typical elements of the style. However, unlike other Queen Anne homes in Hamilton County, the Craig House is masonry construction. Its brick and stone construction transition the Craig House from simply a Queen Anne to one with characteristics of the Romanesque Revival style. The red brick ...