Lost Noblesville PropertiesRSS

Show map
Christian Church

Noblesville Christian Church built in 1855 on the Southeast corner of 9th and Maple Avenue.

Despite a lot of public interest in newspapers, on social media and even on television, the Wheat Storage Plant was lost this year. The interior was an architectural marvel constructed of massive native timbers. All that remains in Noblesville from this historic structure is some of the stone foundation (slated to be used by Noblesville Parks Department) and a set of double doors (saved by the Hamilton County Historical Society.) Everything else—every board and beam was salvaged by a Zionsville ...

Couden's Grocery

13th & Hannibal St

Was one of the last remaining neighborhood commercial buildings left around Old Town. The store was run for years by the Couden family.

Craftsman Cobblestone Home

1053 N. 10th St

This quaint cottage home was of unusual style and building materials for Noblesville

Crownland Cemetery Iron Fence

N. 16th Street & Monument Street

Historic Crownland Cemetery is an integral part of the Monument St. neighborhood. The wrought iron fence surrounding the cemetery was part of the cemetery's historic character.

This large, lovely carriage house was demolished this year. The developer told NPA members that the structure was to be saved, but it was suddenly demolished with no fanfare. We’re not aware of why plans changed. A carriage house of this quality and size are extremely rare in Noblesville. This is an unfortunate loss. The owner owns three other adjacent properties to this one, all with on site surface parking lots. Nearly the entire backyard of the Kraft House, right up to the edge of the alley, ...

Farm Bureau Co-Op Office

Walnut and S. 9th St.

This gable front Greek Revival cottage, built c. 1840, served for decades as the Co-op office. The detailed, Queen Anne woodwork on the porch was noteworthy, but unfortunately the porch fell to decay and was removed over 10 years ago.

Fertig House

This house was owned by the Fertig family from the time it was built until the last relative, Helen Thompson, died in 1972. The Fertig's were leading lawyers in town and Helen's brother, Emmet Fertig, was elected mayor. Helen helped build the Carnegie Library and served on the library board for 50 years. This home was demolished due to the city hall expansion.

First Presbyterian Church of Noblesville

The Greek-Revival style framed Church was built on donated land on the east side of Catherine (now 9th Street).

First Ward School

Constructed in 1888-1889, First Ward was a grand brick school located at Harrison Street and North 10th Street. The construction of North Elementary on the north side of First Ward signaled the demise of this grand school building. During the summer of 1967 this historic structure was brought down by a wrecking ball.

Greek Revival Cottage

1053 Maple Ave

Built in 1900, this quaint cottage acted as a boundary between residential and commercial areas of downtown Noblesville. It does not appear in the Sanborn maps until c. 1900. It’s older architectural style gives a clue that the house may have been moved to its current location

Hospital

After serving as a Hospital and nursing school and an apartment building this structure was purchased by American National Bank and razed in 1975 to make room for a parking lot.

Interurban Train Lines

At the turn of the 20th Century, an intercity electric railway network began to form across Indiana, with Indianapolis at its heart.

Preston Tucker Home

525 Sheridan Road

This home was the former residence of Preston Tucker, a national innovator in the automobile industry and subject of the Hollywood movie, “Tucker.” This home was an excellent example of the American Foursquare style. This home which proudly stood on Hwy 38 since the early 20th century in a neighborhood of slow decline from residential to commercial, was demolished in November. The loss of this home speaks volumes about the major effect that improper commercial zoning of residential structures ca ...

Second Ward School

After almost a century of service to the Noblesville School System the Second Ward School was demolished in 1969.

Seminary School

The first public school in Hamilton County was the Seminary School located on South 10th Street in Noblesville (today the site is Seminary Park). The school building was replaced in 1872 with the second Seminary School which eventually became Second Ward School.

Sohl Farm

Highway 38 East

This early I-House Greek Revival farmhouse, built c. 1845, was one of the last remaining Pre-Civil war farmsteads in Noblesville. The home was large and constructed from high-quality, handhewn materials. It was of museum-quality.

Third Ward School

The Third Ward School was used as a school until 1968. The building was destroyed by a wrecking ball in April of 1969.

Vernacular Victorian Home

1314 Hannibal Street

This 2-story Victorian home was typical of the style of Vernacular Victorian homes common in Noblesville. Before it underwent poor quality renovations (and a fire) the façade was mostly original, with details intact, such as porch posts, brackets and decorative fish scaling.

While the home on this large property is listed as saved this year, unfortunately the barn was demolished. The property had been neglected for many years, it would have taken a lot of work to stabilize and improve the barn. It’s just unfortunate because it was a lovely old barn. A pole barn has been built in its place.

Special thanks to the Noblesville Preservation Alliance Sponsors